Friday, February 26, 2016

Friday Morning
I (Duane) arrived this morning, hearing some odd sounds coming from within the house.  Sound is not unusual, as Gma will sometimes have her bedroom radio playing or sometimes the TV when I arrive.  This sound, though, was louder than either of those two and the words weren't what you'd hear on the radio or the TV...

Turns out that the sound was from the 'Independent Alert' system, as they were talking to Gma trying to asses the situation...

Gma had made her bed, had been sitting on the edge of the bed, trying to use a lung exerciser devise that she was given years ago.  It must have fallen to the floor and she went down to retrieve it.  The getting down seemed to have worked OK - except that she couldn't see where the device went to - but the getting back up just didn't work....

She must have struggled for a while (she doesn't know for how long, since time it not a "thing" to her anymore).  Finally, she pressed her button to call for help.  Of course, as independent as she is and has been, she struggled for  long enough that she wore herself out.  Since the 'Alert' person was going to call me, and I was there, he collected the info that he needed to fill out his report and disconnected.

With a bit of struggle, we were able to get Gma up on to her bed, let her rest for a few minutes, then work our way into the kitchen for breakfast.  I had been planning to make a marvelous 'Egg Scrambler' for breakfast,  but I think we were both drained and so the Faboo Breakfast turned into 'Cold Cereal'...

After breakfast (and *much* discussion about what she can and can't do anymore), she went willingly into her bed to lay down (while I needed to go to Maceys for a few odds and ends).  When I returned, I still had her sleep the morning away... while I puttered around the house.

I have since removed the lung exerciser devise and told Gma that the unit (at this point) would only hyper-ventilate her.  She seems OK with that.  I also told her that she doesn't need to make her bed anymore the way she has done in the past and she said something like, 'OK' and 'nobody will really see it anyway...'

As I write this (2:00 pm), she looks real normal as she sits in her chair and reads the newspaper.  Watching her move from the kitchen to her chair, well, she seemed to be moving at half speed -- her legs were hurting her a lot.  We talked about, perhaps, needing to up the ante on the amount and kind of pain med(s) -- to which she wasn't fond of hearing that...  Her complaint:  it would just make her sleepy, to which I reminded her that as we get nearer to the end (not the words I used) that she will be needing and wanting to sleep more.

---------------
I've had difficulty wanting to write much of anything here in the blog....  We are on a roller coaster ride, with the ride changing every couple of days, from her being very well, to being on the low end of the ride.... with movement and memory issues.

Thanks to those of you who TXT me to get the info when I don't write anything....  (You know who you are!!!)

Cheers, Y'All

No comments: